Monday 6 August 2012

Mildew mithers

One of the consequences of a humid summer seems to be a greater prevalence of fungus problems on some of the plants. For several years now I've had terrible black-spot on a climbing rose 'Golden Showers', and this year mildew on Gooseberries, another rose Lady Veilchenblau, and scab on my Elstar apple (though the Bramley doesn't seem to be affected).
I've tried all of the usual preventative measures (good garden hygiene, good spacing and ventilation etc) which has helped to a certain extent. I guess choosing resistant varieties would have helped too, but it's too late now as I've got them all well established. So, I'm going to try some Bordeaux mixture in the winter to see if that works. It's a mixture of lime and copper sulphate which should be applied in dry weather. Just need to wait for the rain to stop now!

No comments:

Post a Comment