Wednesday 15 February 2012

Blueberries and apples

I love making jam in the summer from my raspberries and strawberries, and have always fancied getting some blueberry bushes, but they are rather expensive. Thought I'd try growing some from seed. Might take a while, but I enjoy a good experiment.
Aldi's are also doing some excellent soft fruit trees and bushes at the moment. Picked up a Bramley for £3.99. They can be brutes, so I'll have to keep it well pruned. They are quite tricky to grow too. For a start they are triploids, so need pollinators from three other groups. I can see five trees in the local area from my bedroom window, so there shouldn't be a problem. One of the few benefits of living in suburbia!

Also, they are partial-tip bearing, so you have to be careful NOT to cut off the fruiting branches. Found this useful video on YouTube about pruning Bramleys. So, blueberry and apple pies all round in a few years time. Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment